Fair Food Business Boot Camp
Fair Food Network’s Fair Food Fund is investing in entrepreneurs that are transforming the business of food from farms to families. We pair financing and business assistance—two critical needs—to catalyze the success of good food entrepreneurs in their communities and beyond. Our investments—including loans, royalty financing, convertible debt, and equity investments—meet entrepreneurs where they are and take them where they want to go. Financing is bolstered with business assistance—whether an intensive boot camp or customized one-on-one support—to help entrepreneurs translate their passion into success in the marketplace. Five years in, our portfolio of supported businesses is, in turn, supporting farmers, improving healthy food access, igniting local economies, and growing a more equitable food system.
Fair Food Business Boot Camp: December 4 – 6, 2018
Our annual Business Boot Camp brings together selected good food entrepreneurs and food industry experts for a FREE three-day intensive training. Topics include marketing strategy, telling your story, breakeven analysis, understanding financial statements, real-time problem-solving, fundraising, and more. With skill building sessions, one-on-one coaching, and peer networking, you’ll leave with the skills and resources you need to take your business to the next level.
The Boot Camp culminates in a pitch competition in front of a live audience with a chance to win up to $10,000 in cash prizes from Fair Food Network.
This year’s Boot Camp will be held December 4-6, 2018 at Orange Door Kitchen in Acton, Massachusetts. Fair Food Network will host a kick-off dinner for participants at Orange Door Kitchen on December 3rd. The pitch competition will take place on the evening of Thursday, December 6 at Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Foundation in Wellesley, Massachusetts.
The Boot Camp is FREE for selected entrepreneurs including food and lodging.
We support mission-driven enterprises that are supporting local farmers while increasing healthy food access and sparking local economic activity. Read on to see if your business is a good fit.
- Your Business is Up & Running. We’re looking for enterprises that are generating an expected annual revenue of $50,000+ (some exceptions apply).
- You’re a Mission-Driven Business. We’re seeking mission-driven businesses that are supporting local family farmers, increasing healthy food access and affordability, and creating quality jobs in their communities. We’re also committed to supporting the success of women entrepreneurs and entrepreneurs of color. Enterprises could include a farmers’ market vendor, a grocery store/food retailer, specialty food producer, food service business (fast casual, restaurant, mobile truck, etc.), local food processor/distributor, etc. While we don’t expect businesses to hit every impact area, businesses must demonstrate how they are supporting the success of small to mid-size local farms to be eligible.
- You’re Located in the Northeast and Incorporated in the U.S. We’re looking for businesses located in and benefiting communities in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, or Vermont.
- You’re Planning for Growth. Preference will be given to applicants planning to seek financing in the next 12 months.
- You’re a Leader. Applications must be submitted by a founding member of the business or a member of the executive leadership team with the commitment that this person will attend the entire Boot Camp. Selected entrepreneurs may select one other person to accompany them.
- You’re ready to commit. You and one colleague can commit to the Boot Camp schedule – from a kick-off dinner on December 3rd to the culminating pitch competition on the evening of December 6th. Training days start at 8:45am and go into the evenings with group dinners and working sessions.
Application Process & Deadline
Please answer each question below as specifically and succinctly as possible before submitting your completed application no later than Friday, October 12 at 11:59pm EDT. Accepted applicants will be notified by October 31. Up to 10 enterprises will be selected to participate in this year’s Boot Camp, and an orientation call for participants will be scheduled for mid-November.